1982 Blue Diamond Stakes winner, 2yo colt RANCHER
Trainer: Charlie Waymouth
Jockey: Norman Waymouth
Blue Diamond Stakes:
- The first edition of the Blue Diamond Stakes was staged on Saturday, February 20, 1971. The race attracted 16 starters and was won by the 5/4 favourite Tolerance, trained by Angus Armanasco and ridden by Roy Higgins
- With stake-money of $13,500 and conducted at Set Weights (Colts & Geldings: 8.7. and Fillies: 8.2.), the race was worth roughly half of the VRC Sires Produce Stakes ($25k).
- The race has always been conducted over 1200m at Caulfield, except for the 1996 edition (won by Paint) which was at Flemington.
- When the Australian Group Race Classification system was established in 1979, the Blue Diamond was awarded Group One status. The VATC 2YO flagship race run in February, (and regarded as the “fore-runner” to the Blue Diamond), was the Merson Cooper Stakes, first conducted in 1946. Horses such as Vain, Storm Queen, Dual Choice, Pago Pago, Star Affair and Kingster appear on the Merson Cooper honour roll. The VATC elected to cease staging the Merson Cooper Stakes once the Blue Diamond had been established, however resurrected the race from extinction, re-establishing it as a Group 3 (now Listed) 1000m 2YO event, conducted in Spring.
- Total stake-money for the Blue Diamond rose rapidly, the race worth $500,000 in 1991, twenty years after it’s inception. The first million-dollar Blue Diamond was conducted in 1997, and now in 2020, the race is worth $1.5 million.
- 1976 – longest priced winner, Out of Danger (40/1). In 1984, Street Café also scored at 40/1
- 1979 – aboard the undefeated colt Star Shower, jockey Roy Higgins captures his fourth Blue Diamond after scoring on Tolerance (1971), Lord Dudley (1975) and Blazing Saddles (1977).
- 1982 – shortest priced winner, Rancher (2/5f). He is matched in 2011 when Sepoy scores at $1.40f.
- 1995 – Principality becomes the first Maiden winner of the Diamond. Pride of Dubai (2014) is the only other Diamond winner to score as a Maiden
- 2003 – first past the post (Roedean, trained by Mick Price and ridden by Danny Nikolic) is subsequently disqualified after returning a positive swab. Runner-up (Kusi) is awarded the race, almost four months after the race.
- 2007 – trainer David Hayes becomes the most successful trainer in Blue Diamond history when Sleek Chassis provides him with a fourth Diamond. Hayes has won the race again in 2008 and 2018 for a total of six Diamonds.
- 2008 – jockey Dwayne Dunn scores his fourth successive Diamond victory on Reaan, thus equalling the record set by Roy Higgins
- 2011 – Sepoy becomes the fourth Diamond winner to complete the Preview-Prelude-Diamond treble, joining Rancher (1982), Midnight Fever (1987, filly) and Bel Esprit (2002).
- 2013 – Lauren Stojakovic becomes the first female rider (and remains the only one of her gender) to win the Blue Diamond aboard Miracles of Life
- 6 Wins: D.A. (David) Hayes (includes one win in partnership with Ben Hayes and Tom Dabernig)
- 3 Wins: A. (Angus) Armanasco, D.L. (Lee) Freedman, C.S. (Colin) Hayes, P. (Peter) Snowden (includes one win in partnership with Paul Snowden).
- 4 Wins: Dwayne Dunn, Roy Higgins
- 3 Wins: Greg Hall
Blue Diamond Stakes:
|1971||TOLERANCE||A.ARMANASCO||R.HIGGINS||9||11||5-4f||2C||1st VRC 6f 2YO Hcp-1st Sand 6f 2CG Hcp|
|1972||JOHN'S HOPE||T.J.SMITH||K.LANGBY||8||13||7||2C||1st Cant 6f 2YO Hcp-1st VRC Criterion Qlty|
|1973||NEW GLEAM||E.BROADHURST||T.FINGER||1||7||6-4||2C||First run back from a spell (84 days)|
|1974||FORINA||A.ARMANASCO||S.AITKEN||8||7||13-4||2F||1st VRC Talindert Stk|
|1975||LORD DUDLEY||J.B.CUMMINGS||R.HIGGINS||4||5||7-2||2C||7th Caul 1000m 2YO Hcp-2nd VRC Criterion Hcp|
|1976||OUT OF DANGER||C.S.HAYES||A.MATTHEWS||10||9||40||2F||1st SA Oaklands Plte-2nd V Pk 1000m 2F Hcp-1st SA Breeders Stk|
|1977||BLAZING SADDLES||T.J.SMITH||R.HIGGINS||1||2||11-4f||2C||1st Caul 1000m Hcp-16th VRC Lightning Stk|
|1978||MANIKATO||N.D.HOYSTED||G.WILLETTS||7||12||12||2G||1st Cran 1000m 2YO Hcp-2nd VRC 1000m 2YO Hcp-1st VRC 1000m 2YO SC Hcp|
|1979||STAR SHOWER||A.LOPES||R.HIGGINS||1||3||11-8f||2C||1st VRC Criterion Hcp|
|1980||AARE||R.E.HOYSTED||L.DITTMAN||15||7||7-2f||2F||2nd Sand 1000m 2F Hcp-1st Caul 1000m 2F Hcp-1st VRC Talindert Stk|
|1981||BLACK SHOES||A.MCKENNA||G.ROBSON||9||6||14||2F||2nd Rhil 900m 2F Hcp-2nd Rhil 1200m 2F Hcp|
|1982||RANCHER||C.WAYMOUTH||N.WAYMOUTH||1||10||2-5f||2C||1st Caul 1000m 2CG Hcp-1st BD Preview-1st BD Prelude|
|1983||LOVE A SHOW||R.E.HOYSTED||G.WILLETTS||8||3||7-2||2F||1st Caul 1000m 2F Hcp-1st BD Prelude|
|1984||STREET CAF?||T.GREEN||B.CLEMENTS||3||17||40||2C||1st Cant 1000m 2CG Hcp-1st Rand 1000m 2CG Hcp-9th BD Prelude|
|1985||LET'S GET PHYSICAL||R.SMERDON||G.MURPHY||5||13||7-4f||2C||1st Wbee 1000m 2YO Hcp-1st MV 1000m 2CG Hcp-1st BD Prelude|
|1986||BOUNDING AWAY||T.J.SMITH||L.DITTMAN||15||5||3f||2F||1st Rand 1000m 2F Hcp-1st BD Preview|
|1987||MIDNIGHT FEVER||C.S.HAYES||J.COURTNEY||10||10||4||2F||1st BD Preview-1st BD Prelude|
|1988||ZEDITAVE||A.ARMANASCO||G.HALL||1||4||5-2||2C||1st Caul 1000m 2YO Hcp-1st Caul 1000m 2CG Qlty-1st BD Preview|
|1989||COURTZA||R.MCDONALD||R.DYE||11||8||9-4f||2F||2nd Caul 1000m 2F Qlty-2nd BD Preview-1st BD Prelude|
|1990||MAHAASIN||C.S.HAYES||W.HARRIS||11||8||25||2F||1st G Cst 900m 2YO Hcp-2nd G Cst Magic Mill 2YO-2nd BD Prelude|
|1991||CANONISE||D.HAYES||P.HUTCHINSON||1||2||12||2C||11th SA Queen Adelaide-1st SA Adelaide Million 2YO|
|1992||RIVA DIVA||J.B.CUMMINGS||G.CHILDS||8||1||9-4ef||2F||1st Sand 1200m 2F 1MW-1st VRC Talindert Stk-1st VRC Waltzing Lily|
|1993||LADY JAKEO||J.SADLER||G.HALL||12||4||5-2f||2F||2nd BD Preview-1st BD Prelude|
|1994||HURRICANE SKY||G.A.RYAN||S.KING||4||1||3||2C||1st Caul 1000 2YO Hcp-3rd VRC Mollison Stk-1st VRC Criterion Qlty|
|1995||PRINCIPALITY||D.HAYES||R.GRIFFITHS||7||4||8||2C||3rd VRC Criterion Qlty|
|1996||PAINT||G.A.RYAN||D.NIKOLIC||8||3||13-2||2G||1st Kyne 1100m 2YO Mdn-5th SA Breeders Stk-1st MV 1000m 2CG 1MW|
|1997||KNOWLEDGE||D.L.FREEDMAN||D.BRERETON||5||15||20||2C||1st BD Preview-4th BD Prelude|
|1998||DANELAGH||D.L.FREEDMAN||G.HALL||12||10||12||2F||1st VRC Waltzing Lily|
|1999||REDOUTE'S CHOICE||R.HORE-LACY||D.NIKOLIC||5||15||8||2C||1st MRC Chairmans Stk|
|2000||ROAD TO SUCCESS||J.SALANITRI||J.CASSIDY||4||2||20||2G||2nd Morn 1000m 2YO Mdn-1st MRC Chairmans Stk|
|2001||TRUE JEWELS||M.MORONEY||K.MCEVOY||8||2||$8.50||2F||1st Caul 1000m 2YO SWP-2nd AJC Inglis 2YO Classic|
|2002||BEL ESPRIT||J.SYMONS||W.TRELOAR||1||3||$2f||2C||1st BD Preview-1st BD Prelude|
|2003*||KUSI||J.HAWKES||C.BROWN||4||7||$8||2G||1st Rhil 1100m 2CG Hcp|
|2004||ALINGHI||D.L.FREEDMAN||D.OLIVER||6||5||$2.15f||2F||1st BD Prelude|
|2005||UNDOUBTEDLY||M.KAVANAGH||D.DUNN||6||4||$26||2C||1st SA Queen Adelaide Stk-5th BD Prelude|
|2006||NADEEM||D.HAYES||D.DUNN||1||12||$17||2C||6th BD Prelude|
|2007||SLEEK CHASSIS||D.HAYES||D.DUNN||10||9||$8||2F||2nd MV 1000m 2YO SWP-1st Caul 1000m 2YO SWP-1st VRC Talindert Stk|
|2008||REAAN||D.HAYES||D.DUNN||2||9||$14||2C||1st BD Preview|
|2009||REWARD FOR EFFORT||P.MOODY||L.NOLEN||3||5||$16||2C||1st BD Preview-2nd BD Prelude|
|2010||STAR WITNESS||D.O'BRIEN||N.HALL||2||14||$10||2C||1st VRC Talindert Stk|
|2011||SEPOY||P.SNOWDEN||K.MCEVOY||1||5||$1.40f||2C||1st BD Preview-1st BD Prelude|
|2012||SAMAREADY||M.PRICE||C.NEWITT||10||7||$2.20f||2F||1st VRC 1000m 2YO SWP-1st BD Prelude|
|2013||MIRACLES OF LIFE||D.CLARKEN||MS L.STOJAKOVIC||10||1||$3.20f||2F||1st Morp 1000m 2YO SWP-1st Morp 1050m 2YO RB75-1st BD Preview|
|2014||EARTHQUAKE||P.SNOWDEN||D.BROWNE||12||15||$2.90f||2F||1st BD Prelude|
|2015||PRIDE OF DUBAI||P. & P.SNOWDEN||D.BROWNE||7||4||$6||2C||3rd Rhil 1100m 2YO SWP-2nd BD Prelude|
|2016||EXTREME CHOICE||M.PRICE||C.NEWITT||1||11||$2.70f||2C||1st Rand Inglis 2YO-1st MRC Chairmans Stk|
|2017||CATCHY||D.& B.HAYES & T.DABERNIG||C.WILLIAMS||11||11||$4.80||2F||1st MV 1000m 2YO SWP-1st Caul 1100m 2YO SWP-1st BD Prelude|
|2018||WRITTEN BY||G.BEGG||J.CHILDS||2||15||$5.50f||2C||1st Sand 1000m 2YO SWP-1st BD Prelude|
|2019||LYRE||A.FREEDMAN||L.CURRIE||7||5||$7.50||2F||5th VRC 1000m 2F SWP-1st Sale 1105m 2F Mdn-1st BD Prelude|